Understanding Street-Legal Laws for ATVs and UTVs in Maryland

In this article, we will explore the street-legal laws concerning ATVs and UTVs in the state of Maryland. It is important to understand the regulations surrounding these vehicles to ensure compliance and responsible usage. While Maryland does not permit the registration of ATVs and UTVs as street-legal vehicles, there are specific considerations and options to be aware of.

1. Can I register my ATV or UTV as street-legal in Maryland?

No, you cannot register your ATV or UTV as street-legal in the state of Maryland. The state’s legal code does not allow for such registration, meaning that these vehicles are not permitted to operate on public roads and highways.

ATVs and UTVs are permitted for use as offroad vehicles in Maryland, and there are some exceptions to the street legal policy at the county or city level, or under special circumstances outlined below.

2. Why does Maryland not allow ATVs or UTVs to register as street-legal?

The state of Maryland prohibits the registration of ATVs and UTVs as street-legal vehicles based on several factors. Primarily, these are on safety concerns and the intended purpose of these vehicles. ATVs and UTVs are designed for off-road use, and operating them on public roads pose risks to both the riders and other road users.

3. Where can I legally ride my ATV or UTV in Maryland?

In Maryland, there are designated areas where you can legally ride your ATV or UTV. These include authorized off-road trails, private lands with the owner’s permission, and designated ATV parks.

4. If I register my ATV or UTV in another state, can I drive it on Maryland roads? (Registration Reciprocity)

No, even if you have registered your ATV or UTV in another state, you cannot legally ride it on Maryland roads. Each state has its own specific laws and regulations regarding the registration and operation of ATVs and UTVs. Therefore, even if your vehicle is registered as street-legal in another state, it does not exempt you from Maryland’s laws and restrictions. Always check with your local motor vehicle licensing office for accurate information on the regulations relating to the use of ATVs and UTVS in public roads under their jurisdiction. Click here to view ATV & UTV laws in other states.

5. How can I make my ATV (or UTV) street legal in Maryland?

Generally speaking, you cannot make your ATV or UTV street legal in Maryland as the state’s legal code does not allow for this, nor does it allow for you to drive an ATV or UTV that is legally registered in another state on Maryland public roads and highways.

However, if you would like the opportunity to be able to register your ATV or UTV as street-legal and ride it on public roads and highways in states that will allow it, we have partnered with Dirtlegal.com. These guys can help get your ATV or UTV to register as street-legal in most states by registering it in another state that does allow street legal UTVs and ATVs, via “registration reciprocity” between the states.

Dirt Legal Banner

Get STREET LEGAL with DirtLegal.com


In Maryland, ATVs and UTVs are not eligible for street-legal registration and, generally, operating them on public roads is prohibited. However, it is important to note that local cities or counties may establish their own rules and regulations regarding ATV and UTV use on public roads.

While this article has provided a comprehensive overview of the street-legal laws on ATVs and UTVs in this state, it is important that you consult your local motor vehicle licensing office for more specific and accurate information regarding ATV and UTV regulations. Because state laws can change over time and regulations differ between jurisdictions, the information presented here may not provide the most up-to-date or region-specific details.

Remember that street legality is determined by state and local laws, and it is your responsibility as an ATV or UTV owner to ensure that you are operating your vehicle within the legal boundaries while also getting the most fun out of it.

Helpful Resources: